Monday, January 4, 2010
1st Brew Day 3
It's been almost 3 full days since I pitched my first beer. Took a sample for my first gravity and taste testing (I should have sampled the original wort...). The hydrometer is reading 1.020, which means I should have about 3.2 ABV. The sample was pretty fizzy when I took the sample but had little staying power as it tasted flat. There is almost no aroma (which worries me), is very yellow in color, and it has a cidery taste. From what I've read, using simple sugar for the fermentable (which is what the Cooper's kit uses) has a tendency to produce a cider taste. Hopefully this flavor mellows out over the next couple weeks. Another thing which I've discovered that sort of bothers me is that the kit gave me a lager extract and ale yeast. It makes sense to use ale yeast as a beggining brewer since it ferments around room temperature, but why don't they ship a nice brown ale or something with the kit? I suppose lagers appeal to a very wide group of people, but the point seems moot. I'm trying to listen to the homebrew community's mantra of "Relax, Don't Worry, Have A HomeBrew" (RDWHAHB) but it is hard not to be excited and over-cautious with my first attempt.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment