Thursday, June 17, 2010
Apple Jack
So since I was sitting on several gallons of apfelwein (too much good beer to drink instead of some mediocre cider), I decided to try my hand at freeze concentration. I poured a couple quarts into an old LME container and put it in the freezer. Several hours later, I dumped the contents into a strainer and collected the drippings. Since most of the frozen leftovers should be water, this should increase the alcohol content and make the solution harder to freeze. This never happened. Each time I collected and refroze, it came out as the same slushy mix. I kept at it anyway until I had about a pint on liquid (which would still freeze). The result was considerably darker and stronger smelling. It did not taste very good. I had read online that most attempts to do this end up tasting badly. It was interesting to try, but I will not likely attempt it again unless I have a lot of excellent tasting cider sitting around.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment