Saturday, April 10, 2010

Apfelwein Update

Moved my 3 - 1 gallon (minus several samples) apfelweins to a secondary/bottling bucket and added some Camden tablets. The tablets should kill off any remaining active yeast and help stabilize the end product. I'll wait a few days before bottling to let the cider to clear up (the gallon with Belgian yeast is still very cloudy) - not sure if I will attempt to carbonate at all. The final gravities are right around 1.000+- 0.002. The ABV should be around 9.4% as mixed, and there is almost no noticeable alcohol heat. The taste of each cider is remarkably similar even though they had different base juices or yeasts, so mixing is more for convenience than flavor. I got lazy today and didn't sanitize the secondary, but it was well cleaned from its last use. I also poured from the gallon containers to the secondary rather than use a racking cane and tubing to avoid infection, although it did introduce more oxygen. If I end up with an infection or off flavors due to oxidation, I'l chalk it up as a lesson learned and won't be overly saddened - I've been trying to make this process as painless as possible. Since the secondary holds 6 or so gallons and I have about 9 liters of cider in it, I purged the air out with CO2 before putting on the lid. As an aside, I recently had a bottle of Red Branch Hard Black Cherry cider and I really liked it - makes me want to consider adding some extract or fruit to my current batch...

No comments:

Post a Comment