I brewed a dunkelweizen from Austin Homebrew Supply about 6 weeks ago. I didn't take any pictures of the brew day. This was my first "mini-mash" kit. Basically the same as an extract kit with a much larger amount of steeping grains (had to use two muslin bags). The only changes I made to my brewing technique for this batch was using tap water rather than store bought drinking water. I figured it would impart more flavor which might be lacking when using store water. A friend of mine said using distilled or drinking water isn't a big deal for extract brewing since the difference maker is what water was used when the supplier made the extract. I will probably continue to just use (untreated) tap water to save a few bucks until my brewing methods improve and I can discern the difference. Beer turned out pretty good, though it's not something to brag about. Hopefully I can find someone with a refined palate that can offer a more quantitative opinion of my last two brews. This beer carbed faster than I expected. If I remember correctly, there was a decent head after about 4 days, and just after a week I was getting a nice thick weizen head. The weather is starting to heat up, so it'll be nice to have the wheat beer around. Recipe below.
AHS Promotional Dunkelweizen MM
- German Pilsner Malt 1 lb 4 oz
- Red Wheat Malt 1 lb 4 oz
- Crystal 60L Malt 8 oz
- Cara Wheat 4 oz
- Special B Malt 4 oz
- Chocolate Malt 2 oz
- Dark Wheat LME ? lb
- Tradition 4.4%AA 1oz (60 min)
- White Labs Hefeweizen Ale WLP300
No comments:
Post a Comment